Another Word from Mae
Canada is not awesome Edition
After posting my reasons as to why the French are jerks, one of our favorite commenters was a bit upset because I said the Canadian military is as intimidating as the French military, and she gave us a list of 15 reasons why Canada is awesome. I’m here once again to discredit that notion, while adding a few reasons why Canada is better than France and has a few awesome things.
Note: This is in no way an attack on rumoUr or Canada; it’s merely a subjective list. Everyone is entitled to her opinion, but if it’s different than mine, it’s wrong! Thanks!
1) Canadian beer sucks, except La Fin du Monde. (Also, American beer sucks just as much.)
2) Mounties. *giggles*
3) Dealing with 19 year olds in bars is super annoying.
4) Universal Health Coverage in Canada isn’t that great if you have to wait a year for a surgery.
5) Canadian hockey teams suck. That’s why Canadian players want to play on American teams. Like the RED WINGS! And why Gary “I’m a doosh” Bettman is taking away all the Canadian teams and moving them to cities in the US that shouldn’t have hockey teams (That and the fact that they’re losing money in a big way). But, Phoenix, really?? That makes no sense, but that’s a whole ‘nother post. Although, they do have some cool uniforms. Like Edmonton’s and the Canadiens’.) Oh, and hey, Toronto, isn’t the plural for leaf “leaves”?
6) I don’t even know what Poutine is, but it reminds me of ‘Pootietang.’
7) The movie Canadian Bacon. (Which I realize is an American movie, but it has “Canadian” in the title.)
8) Tim Horton’s is quite possibly just as overrated as Starbucks.
10) Does anyone know any lyrics to their national anthem besides “Oh, Canada”?
11) The absurd amount of taxes its citizens pay.
12) Canada didn’t gain independence from England until 1982. It took them that long to get around to telling those limey bastards to piss off? The American colonies defeated a larger, stronger British army with the help of France for Christ’s sake! We got our independence the proper way: through a bloody, violent revolution.
13) Pamela Anderson is from Canada.
13b) so is Celine Dion.
13c) and Avril Lavigne
14) Home to America’s draft dodgers. We’re trying to save the world, people! (This could also be a knock on Americans/America for having a draft in the first place.)
15) Canadian Football League.
16) Their coins always get rejected from vending machines. Also, they take our money, but up until recently (in Michigan anyway), most places didn’t except Canadian money. Bullshit! (This could also be a reason why the US sucks.)
16b) Speaking of money, the Loonie? Really? I always wondered how strippers were tipped in Canada with coins. Do you just throw them at them on stage? Do they have coin purses attached to their thongs? And then I went to a Canadian strip club. You set them on the stage. BOOORING!
16c) They still have British Royalty on their currency.
17) Our flag represents something. It’s filled with symbolism. Their flag, with their Maple Leaf, says, “Watch out for us, we’ll dry up and blow away!”
18) There is no worse insult than being called “French Canadian.”
19) Don Cherry
Now to be fair, here are a few reasons why Canada is better than France and has some awesome qualities.
1. Steve Yzerman. (And hockey.)
2. Canadian bacon (Or ham. Whichever you prefer to call it.)
3. John Candy.
4. It’s a pretty beautiful country.
5. No taxes taken out if you win at the casino (Or that was the case last time I was at Casino Windsor–Caesars–6 years ago.)
6. The Zamboni.
7. Better gun control than the US. Seriously, I can make one phone call and have a variety of illegal auto and semi auto guns to choose from. It’s ridiculous.
8. Leonard Cohen, Rush, The Guess Who and Arcade Fire.
9. The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos.
11. Easy access to drugs. And pot. Although, getting that bottle of Vicodin and bag of pot back across the border is not easy.
12. Don Cherry’s suit coats.
13. Degrassi. (I completely forgot! Thanks, Cait. (I like old Degrassi better than the new school though! )
38 Comments »
Leave a Reply
- A Word from Mae
- Afternoon Awesome
- Afternoon Squee!
- Angry Black Lady Chronicles
- Animals That Are Assholes
- Best in Squee!
- Birthday Shenannies
- Brain Busters
- Caption This
- Celebrity Shenanigans
- Confessions of an Ex-Shopaholic
- Criminally Stupid
- Culture Critic
- Daily Bale
- Daily Whims
- Doosh Watch 2009
- Fact or Feces
- Food for Thought
- Found on the Internet
- Geek Update
- Girl with Eyeblack
- Guy with Eyeblack
- Hump Day Time Wasters
- I Hate Things
- Juju Bitches
- KeeblerKahn's Photo Round-Up
- Keepin' it in the Ballyhood
- Kitchen Bitchin'
- Love Lust and Havarti Dill
- Monday\'s Music
- Mondegreen of the Week
- Movie Marquis
- new site
- News You May or May Not Use
- People We Love
- Random Drunk Emissions
- Sarah's Vagina Wants to Throw Stuff
- Something Else
- The More You Know
- The Wrath of Kahn
- TV Time
- What Do You Think?
- What the Crap!?
- Who Would You Rather?
- Wistful Lists